Friday 15 December 2017

Adelaide Retro Computing Group: 2018 and Beyond!

Thanks Epsilon, George and Theo for your superb efforts in maintaining the blog and keeping Adelaide retro computing enthusiasts abreast of news for the last three years. Yours are big shoes to fill, but we will do our best to keep the blog humming along with photos of events and announcements relating to the group.

Nick will be lead organiser for the ARC Group in 2018. He will also helm the Facebook page. Michael, Rowan, Ivan and myself will help with setting up events and other group-related duties. If anyone else would like to be involved, please let any of us know.

We are looking to February 9th, 2018 for the next meet up. Nothing will change; same venue, same time. We hope to see as many of you there as possible. An announcement will be made soon; please also check the ARC Facebook page for up to date information. 

Finally a little bit about me. I’m somewhat of a newcomer to the ARC Group but I’ve been an avid Amiga user since 1989; having owned an A500 followed by an A1200, both of which are still happily running. I’ve recently added a few machines to the fleet including two A1000 systems (definitely my favourite of the classic Amigas) and I’m now waiting for the rumoured ACA 1000 expansion board in order to add some modern features to these 30+ year old machines. Its definitely an exciting time for classic computing with new boards, interfaces, peripherals and even full systems seemingly appearing on a weekly basis. In recent months I’ve been transferring hundreds of my old 3.5” floppies over to the CF card on my A1200. Its been great fun listening to MOD files I composed back in the 90s, and seeing my old pixel art created with Deluxe Paint. I even found some old tile-sets and sprites for a game I’d started building back in the day. When time allows I might try to finish this project either for the Amiga or possibly a more modern and accessible platform - we shall see. At the moment I’m updating the art assets and getting everything properly catalogued and archived before my floppies completely bite the dust! 

Anyway, we hope to see you all at the next meet in February, and we're looking forward to checking out everyone’s retro systems in 2018. Wishing you all a happy and safe Christmas break.

Best regards,
Dan